During the course of 2021, The Real Thing converted its tablets to capsules with the following benefits:
– Masks the taste of unpalatable active ingredients
– Easier to swallow than tablets
– Capsules may be opened and contents removed if unable to swallow capsules
– Active ingredients undergo gentler and less processing during manufacture
– Binders have been removed from the formulation
– Active ingredients have been aligned with the South African Nutrient Reference Values
Get the specs
What? Bone Revolution is a unique blend of mineral-rich sea vegetables, most importantly Aquamin™, a clinically tested form of the red seaweed Lithothamnium corallioides that contains 32% calcium and lots of other skeleton-friendly stuff.
Why? Sea vegetables, especially the red ones, are a major source of natural minerals. This is good news because, when it comes to bone health, calcium seems to work better in combination with other bone- nutrients, all of which work better together.
So what? It’s nutritional teamwork. The Real Thing Bone Revolution aims to improve the body’s levels of nutrients involved in healthy bone turnover. It’s not just calcium but a team of power-players that help to minimise or prevent bone loss due to age and nutrient-deficiency. Go team! It may also help to counter the loss for people taking bone-depleting medications like corticosteroids.
WHAT’S IN BONE REVOLUTION?
- Calcium, a different kind
- Vitamin D3
- MenaQ7® (Vitamin K2)
THE RECOMMENDED BLEND. While taking lifestyle steps such as quitting smoking, exercising more, drinking less alcohol and avoiding bone-damaging meds, Bone Revolution helps take care of these nutrient needs. The rest is up to you.
- CALCIUM, A DIFFERENT KIND
It’s a plant-derived supplement. Some calcium supplements are isolated elements created in a lab, whilst others are made from crushed chalk, cow bone, limestone or different sorts of rock. The calcium in Bone Revolution is delivered in a natural and organic powdered sea-veg form. So which is better for us, rock or plant? We believe the body prefers the latter.
It’s extra-easy to absorb. The mineral-rich Lithothamnium corrallioides red seaweed in Bone Revolution
(also known as Aquamin™) grows extremely slowly. Really. Very. Slowly. This means it has plenty of time to filter, absorb and “pre-digest” calcium and other minerals from the sea thoroughly. That’s why the calcium in this supplement is easy for your body to absorb, retain and ultimately use.
It works more than one way. Two recent animal studies published in the Journal of Phytotherapy
Research 2011 and in Calcified Tissue International 2010, have shown that Aquamin™ actually increases bone mineralisation, meaning that it doesn’t just help to prevent bone loss, but could in fact promote bone formation too.
Why we’ve included calcium
- Calcium is essential for normal bone structure and function.
- It’s one of the main bone-forming minerals, in fact 99% of the body’s calcium is found in the skeleton.
- Because it’s lost through sweat, skin cells and waste, the body’s calcium concentration tends to decline with time. This is particularly pronounced in women. Why? Because with age , oestrogen levels decrease and calcium absorption tends to fall too.
WHAT’S THE RIGHT DOSE? Although the 2010 South African Nutrient Reference Value
(SANRV) and US Institute of Medicine say the recommended adult calcium intake is 1 300mg a day, most modern diets provide less than half that. In western countries the average is 500 mg – 600mg a day, sometimes even less – a 2006 study involving South African women found their intake to be as low as 450 mg daily! So, because the average diet delivers up to 850 mg less calcium a day than it should, we’ve designed Bone Revolution to contain 400 mg of elemental calcium (1333 mg calcium salt) per dosage in a unique form to supplement daily intake.
It’s a booster for other bone nutrients. Studies show that boron can help keep bones strong by activating vitamin D, which in turn promotes calcium absorption. Nice. Clearly better levels of one lead to better levels of the others and therefore better nutritional support.
WHY WE’VE INCLUDED BORON
- It makes more vitamin D available and specifically improves levels of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol (or vitamin D3), which improves the bone-nourishing effect.
- Boron also enhances calcium, magnesium and oestrogen levels, all of which play important roles in maintaining bone health.
WHAT’S THE RIGHT DOSE? For bone-related health, boron has been used at a dose of 3 mg per elemental boron day. Exactly what Bone Revolution provides.
It works with calcium. Magnesium is another team-playing mineral in the Bone Revolution blend that’s also been shown to influence calcium metabolism and help bone growth.
WHY WE’VE INCLUDED MAGNESIUM
- A proper magnesium intake can help improve bone mass density. What’s a proper intake? Well, when it comes to bone health, 400 mg – 600 mg of magnesium is recommended a day by the 2010 South African Nutrient Reference Value (SANRV).
- Magnesium also helps make higher-quality bone. How? By preventing the formation of larger hydroxyapatite crystals, which can lead to brittle bone.
WHAT’S THE RIGHT DOSE? With local diets supplying as little as 273mg daily, many people are living with a magnesium deficit of over 300mg a day. Fortunately Bone Revolution provides the ideal elemental calcium to magnesium ratio of 2:1. In other words there’s 400 mg of elemental calcium and 213 mg of elemental magnesium per dose. While everyone’s needs are different, Bone Revolution aims to supplement this magnesium deficit as best as possible.
- VITAMIN D3
It’s the recommended kind. Of the different kinds of vitamin D, the International Osteoporosis Foundation recommends using vitamin D3, the natural form.
WHY WE’VE INCLUDED VITAMIN D3
- It’s essential for normal bone structure and function.
- It helps the bone mineralisation process and increases the intestinal absorption of bone nutrients like calcium and phosphorous.
- Vitamin D insufficiency is a worldwide problem. Fact. This vitamin is supplied by certain foods and exposure to the sun. Therefore, the broadscale lack of vitamin D3 is due to a combination of low intake, impaired intestinal absorption and too little sunshine time due to habitat, age, skin colour and increased sunblock use (a good thing except when it comes to D3 supply and demand).
WHAT’S THE RIGHT DOSE? It’s hard to get enough vitamin D from your diet or from the sun. What is enough? According to the 2010 South African Nutrient Reference Value (SANRV) its 600IU a day for adults from all sources – although a 2006 study involving adult South African woman found the vitamin D dietary intake may be as low as 148 IU per day. Other available sources recommend 800 IU – 1000 IU daily for maintenance. This is why Bone Revolution contains 1000 IU of vitamin D3 per daily dose.
- PLUS, MORE THAN 70 TRACE MINERALS
It’s got the good ones. In addition to the bone-specific nutrients listed so far, the Aquamin™ red sea veg in Bone Revolution provides more than 70 trace minerals – including iron, manganese and copper, which play supportive skeletal roles.
WHY DO YOU NEED BONE REVOLUTION ?
- Bones firm up and fill up with minerals while you’re growing. But only into the 20s. Then things start to reverse.
- From age 35 bone is gradually weakened, demineralised and lost – even more so in women after menopause.
- But it’s not just age, research shows that diet, exercise, environment, genetics, smoking, certain medications and exposure to sunlight (or the lack thereof, which leads to too little vitamin D) can all influence bone weakness or strength.
- That’s where nutrient therapy comes in. It’s been shown to be central to the maintenance of optimal bone health – especially with bone-related nutrients like calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, manganese, zinc, boron, copper, MenaQ7® (Vitamin K2) and trace elements such as phosphorous, fluoride.
- Bone Revolution helps improve levels of nutrients involved in healthy bone turnover. Simple.So it can help to prevent or minimise bone loss– due to age, bone-reducing meds like corticosteroids, or low bone-nutrient intake (as in lactose intolerance or life in dark, sunless parts of the world).
WHAT MAKES BONE REVOLUTION THE REAL THING?
- What we put in it. It’s a pure, powdered sea-veg blend featuring the clinically tested, mineral-rich red seaweed Aquamin™ and complementing vitamins and minerals for good measure too.
- What we don’t put in it. No colourants, flavourants or preservatives of any kind.
- How it’s grown. The red seaweed known as Lithothamnium corallioides, naturally absorbs minerals as it grows over five years. It then settles into a hard, calcified state on the seabed, and that’s when it’s harvested, washed, dried and powdered into a supplement-friendly form. Because the mature mineralised plant is used, and the living, young ones are left to grow, the process is environmentally friendly and totally sustainable.
- How it’s made. Bone Revolution is produced in ISO and HACCP approved facilities. It contains organic Aquamin™ and is non-GMO, Kosher and Halaal.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IT?
REMEMBER TO READ THE FULL LABEL AND/OR INFORMATION LEAFLET BEFORE USE.
- Adults who are not used to taking calcium supplements should start with 1 tablet twice a day for one week, then increase slowly to 2 tablets twice daily. Take tablets with non-fibrous foods, and at least two hours before or four to six hours after other supplements or medication.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose, unless under direct supervision of your doctor. Also, avoid taking more than 1 300 mg of calcium per day – and consider all sources, namely dietary and supplementation (count around 300 mg of calcium per day from non-dairy foods and 300 mg a day per cup of milk).
- If you have a medical condition, check with your doctor before using any supplement. Supplementation should not replace a healthy, balanced and varied diet. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any supplement.
SOME THINGS TO CONSIDER
Do not take Bone Revolution if you…
- Are allergic or hypersensitive to any of the ingredients
- Have hypercalcemia (abnormally high levels of circulating calcium in the blood)
- Have the autoimmune condition systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), heart block, severe kidney disease or toxaemia
Speak to your doctor before taking Bone Revolution if you…
- Have a medical condition
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding
- Have decreased kidney function
- Have heart disease
- Have arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
If you take more Bone Revolution than you should…
As with any supplement, you shouldn’t take more than the recommended dose of Bone Revolution at any time. But if you do, or accidental overdose occurs, call your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available contact your nearest hospital or poison control centre.
Chronic vitamin D overdose can lead to too much calcium and phosphate in the body, excess urea and other nitrogenous waste in the blood and low iron, or anemia. Excess calcium can lead to numerous effects including fatigue, headache, loss of appetite, constipation, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps.
If you forget to take Bone Revolution for a day or more…
It’s no problem. Just start again at the regular daily dose. In other words, don’t take double doses to make up for the days you forgot. And remember: you may not see optimal benefits if you don’t take Bone Revolution regularly.
If you stop taking Bone Revolution…
The benefits and improvements you’ve seen may slowly start to decline if you discontinue the recommended dose on a regular basis.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?
- Bone Revolution should be well-tolerated at recommended doses, but some minor side effects such as belching or gas, nausea, vomiting and constipation or diarrhoea may occur.
- With long-term use, it’s advised that you have your doctor check your phosphate and hormone levels.
- Not all side-effects reported for this supplement are included in the leaflet or on this website. Should your general health get worse while taking this supplement, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice.
How to recognise it
- Bone Revolution is a 19mm off-white tablet, or “caplet” (capsule-shaped tablet).
- Tablets are packed in a hard cardboard container with a metal base and top, covered with a clear plastic lid.
- There are 120 tablets in each container.
How to keep it and chuck it
Store Bone Revolution in a cool, dry place, below 25°C and out of direct sunlight.
Don’t use it after the expiry date stated on the label or container and return any unused or expired tablets to your pharmacist for proper disposal.
Not recommended for use by children under the age of 18, pregnant and breastfeeding women.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
The contents of the Knysna Health website shall not be regarded as medical advice, or a basis from which to make medical decisions. The use of information found on this site is completely your responsibility and at your own risk. Our recommendation is that if you have health concerns that you feel unsure about how to deal with, that you contact your trusted health professional for personalized advice.