PRO-biotics are live bugs (like good bacteria or yeasts) that benefit the host they live on (like you). PRE-biotics are the foods that benefit the bugs that benefit you. Simple.
What else? When probiotics and prebiotics are combined in a supplement (like this one), it’s called a SYN-biotic. As in SYN–ergy.
So what? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic is a synbiotic that contains nine strains of healthy bacteria and a probiotic yeast. More specifically it contains 20-billion colony forming units per dose – about 20 times more than the average probiotic. It also packs in chicory inulin and oligofructose prebiotics. PRO + PRE = SYN. Simple.
WHAT’S A COLONY FORMING UNIT? It’s a measure of the number of live, viable microbials in something. And, clearly, you want lots of these in your probiotic supplement, if not in your soup. Most probiotics contain 100-million to 1-billion CFUs per dose. The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic contains 20-billion. Bingo.
HOW CAN PRO-PROBIOTIC HELP YOU?
Stress, prescription drugs, alcohol, a high-fat diet, too much red meat and too little dietary fibre can allow bad gut bacteria to overgrow and take over the gut. This can lead to digestive problems like infections, lactose intolerance, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, Candida and reduced absorption of nutrients. Unless you put more good guys in.
Here’s what good-guy bacteria can do…
- INHIBIT BAD BACTERIA. They compete with unhealthy bacteria for binding sites and nutrients – some probiotics even lower the pH to inhibit bad microflora and produce bacteriocins, natural antibiotic substances against harmful bugs like Candida albicans, Salmonella, E coli and Staph aureus.
- ANSWER ANTIBIOTICS. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but don’t know how to tell the good from the bad. This means they can upset the system and your stomach. Replacing the beneficial bacteria with a probiotic can help restore a healthy flora balance.
- IMPROVE IMMUNITY. Good bacteria work with the immune system on multiple levels. They’re practically honorary members of the team. Here’s why…
- Physical protection. Probiotic bacteria line the mouth, nose, oesophagus, lung cavity and digestive and urinary systems. They form a physical barrier between bad bacteria and the bloodstream. Like a living layer of Clingfilm.
- More immune cells. Research has shown that probiotics help increase the number of T and B lymphocytes produced to fight the body’s battles.
- More immune activity. They stimulate cells to produce antibodies against foreign invaders and immune messenger proteins called cytokines that help coordinate the immune response.
- More killer cell activity. Probiotics don’t just stimulate T-cells and B-cells to do their thing. They also push other immune cells, like macrophages and natural killer cells, to do theirs – namely to attack, engulf and swallow harmful microorganisms and toxins. It’s called phagocytosis, which means “cell eating”. And probiotics get cells eating more.
- ENHANCE NUTRITION. More good bacteria in the gut promote the absorption of nutrients from food – especially minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc. They also produce nutrients themselves, including B vitamins, folic acid, and antioxidants like vitamin K.
DID YOU KNOW?
Our forefathers received their daily food on an annual basis from at least 500 plants and also, as the food they ate were often stored in the soil, a rich supply of numerous micro-organisms. Modern day food is based on a small number of nutrients, 80 % of which come from only 17 plants and 50% of our calories come from only 8 grains! Also, modern food often goes through extensive processing, growth enhancement, separation, condensing, drying, freezing, irradiation, burning, microwaving, heating, cooking and adding of various non-nutritious and (potentially harmful) ingredients. These all change the nature of our food which has a negative impact on human health, including deranging the immune system. Put this together with the use of numerous pharmaceutical drugs e.g. antibiotics that further suppress immune function, we have a recipe for on-going sub-optimal or poor health. Too many of us have lost the ability to maintain proper colonisation of the bowel flora.
- STRENGTHENS THE GUT BARRIER. The gut flora ensures proper mucous secretion which provides an obstacle to the absorption of pathogenic substances. Some bacteria actually strengthen the intestinal structure and are involved in tissue and cell development. An increase in Bifidobacteria induced by nutritional supplements is correlated with an improved gut barrier. A dysfunctional gut barrier function is associated with digestive difficulties such as leaky gut syndrome and lactose intolerance.
IN A NUTSHELL
PRO-Probiotic helps provide us with more nutrients than we receive from the food we do eat, helps protect against invading organisms and helps strengthen our gut barrier so that these organisms don’t get into our blood stream.
ESSENTIAL WITH ANTIBIOTICS. A 2008 study from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York concluded that the right dose of probiotics will prevent antibiotic-induced diarrhoea. What’s the right dose? More than 5-billion colony-forming units per day for children, and more than 10-billion colony-forming units per day for adults.
WHAT’S IN PRO-PROBIOTIC?
- The probiotics
- And the prebiotics
1. THE PROBIOTICS
Probiotic supplements often contain only one or a few probiotic strains, However, the gut flora includes numerous naturally occurring organisms, commonly Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, as well as 400 other bacterial species, fungi (including yeasts), such as Saccharomyces boulardii and parasites.
That’s why PRO-PROBIOTICS contains 10 of the most common strains as each one has it’s own special talents and each contributes to a healthy intestinal environment.
2. AND THE PREBIOTICS
What? Technically, prebiotics are soluble, non-digestible dietary fibres that good bacteria cling to and feed on. They move through the gut without being broken down. Then they stick around to be fermented in the colon. This means good bacteria have more to eat for longer. The healthy flora flourish.
Which ones? The Real Thing PRO-Probiotic has packed a two-course meal for the bacteria on board. It contains a unique combination of two natural prebiotics extracted from the chicory root:
- INULIN (50%). When the good Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria digest inulin, they increase in volume by 5 to 10 times. Also, bifidobacteria combined with inulin, produce short-chain fatty acids that lower the pH in the gut. This both inhibits bad bacteria and promotes calcium and magnesium absorption. Good stuff.
- OLIGOFRUCTOSE (50%). It’s a particularly good substrate for bifidobacteria. But it doesn’t just provide a space for the bugs to bind to, it also stimulates their activity by several hundred percent.
INTERESTING FACT: The average human body is made up of about 1013 (or about ten trillion) cells. But the number of microorganisms in the average gut is equal to about ten times that. Nothing average about that.
BEFORE YOU TAKE PRO-PROBIOTIC
Do not take PRO-PROBIOTIC if you are allergic or hypersensitive to:
- Any of the ingredients
- Lactose, milk or yeast
Do not give to children under the age of 3 years of age:
- Unless under the direct supervision of a doctor
Speak to your doctor before taking PRO-PROBIOTIC if you:
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding (use cautiously or avoid)
- Are severely ill
- Have a much weakened immune system as probiotics can exert potentially powerful immune effects
Before taking any supplement speak to a doctor or pharmacist, especially if you are taking other chronic medication or supplements or have a health condition.
HOW TO TAKE PRO-PROBIOTIC
Adults over 18 years of age: 1 capsule daily, unless under the supervision of a medical practitioner. Antibiotics can reduce the efficacy of probiotics, therefore take the probiotics at least 2 hours before or after antibiotics. To maintain viability, store in a refrigerator and use before the expiry date.
Supplementation should not replace a healthy, balanced and varied diet. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any supplement.
If, by mistake, you take more PRO-PROBIOTIC than you should
Stop taking the supplement and restart at the recommended dose a few days later. In the event of overdosage, side effects are more likely and may be exacerbated; consult your doctor or pharmacist. If neither is available, seek help at your nearest hospital or poison control centre.
If you forget to take PRO-PROBIOTIC
If you’ve forgotten to take PRO-PROBIOTIC for a day or two, just start again at the regular daily dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for the forgotten individual doses. Remember though, that you may not achieve optimal benefits if you do not take PRO-PROBIOTIC regularly.
Effects when you stop taking PRO-PROBIOTIC
The benefits and improvements you’ve gained from PRO-PROBIOTIC may slowly decline if you discontinue taking the recommended serving on a regular basis.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Probiotics and Prebiotics are generally safe and well tolerated, however they can exert a potentially powerful immune response and may cause temporary upset stomach, bloating and gas. Skin irritation and headaches my occur. These symptoms are considered to be due to the “die-off” of the harmful bacteria, are generally due to newly introduced probiotic intake and are identified as a positive healing process (or Herxheimer reaction). If symptoms are difficult to tolerate, stop taking PRO-PROBIOTIC and reintroduce slowly.
Use cautiously if:
- You have gastrointestinal disorders, pancreatitis or systemic fungal infection
- You are lactose intolerant
Not all side effects reported for this medicine are included in this leaflet. Should your general health worsen while taking this medicine, please consult your doctor, pharmacist or other health care professional for advice.
WHAT MAKES PRO-PROBIOTIC THE REAL THING?
- What we put in it. Nothing but billions of colony forming units of beneficial probiotics with a chicory inulin, oligofructose prebiotic of 100% vegetable origin.
- What we don’t put in it. No binders, fillers, colourants, flavourants, preservatives, tableting aids or additives of any kind.
- How it’s produced. All production and preparation is done according to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) standards. Plus the prebiotic is also extracted from chicory root using hot water and a gentleextraction process that’s optimised for safety.
- How it’s packed. The probiotics are presented in a veggie capsule and kept refrigerated at all times to maintain viability.
STORING AND DISPOSING OF PRO-PROBIOTIC
- Store in a refrigerator.
- Do not use after the expiry date stated on the label/container.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
PRESENTATION OF PRO-PROBIOTIC:
IDENTIFICATION OF PRO-PROBIOTIC:
- PRO-PROBIOTIC is a clear, oval capsule containing a white/off-white powder.
|DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this website is not intended as a substitute for advice provided by a competent health care professional or Doctor. You should not use this information in diagnosing or treating a health problem. No information or opinion in this page/website is intended to be, nor should be construed to be, medical advice. If you are taking any medicines (prescribed or not), or have a medical condition, please consult a physician or health care professional, who is aware of herb/drug interactions before taking any herbal or natural supplements.|
Copyright © 2015 The Real Thing