Organic Sweet Orange essential oil
Botanical (and family):
Citrus vulgaris / aurantium / sinensis. Family Rutaceae.
Native to China, but cultivated world-wide.
- Description of plant:
An evergreen tree with shiny green leaves and fragrant white flowers.
Cold expression of the fresh ripe or almost ripe outer peel.
A pale orange-yellow to dark orange, mobile liquid, which has a sweet, light and fresh, fruity aldehydic odour.
- Odour effects:
- Main chemical constituents:
Decanal, citronellal, octanol – 2%
Carvone, alpha-ionone – 2%
Bergaptene, auraptene – 1%
Limonene, myrcene, sabinene, alpha-pinene – 85%
Linalool, alpha terpineol, geraniol – 5%
Properties and indications:
Dispels tension and lifts gloomy thoughts.
Has a calming effect on the stomach. Stimulates bile, so may assist in digestion of fats. May encourage appetite. Brings down high body temperature. Could help to reduce cholesterol levels.
Sweating action speeds out toxins in congested skin. A good skin tonic.
- Other uses:
A major flavour component in numerous types of softdrinks. Used as a starter material for natural limonene.
Used in eau-de-colognes.
Blends well with:
- Angelica, Cinnamon, Coriander, Clove, Cypress, Frankincense, Geranium, Jasmine, Juniperberry, Neroli, Lavender, Nutmeg, Petitgrain, Rose, Rosewood.
- RSA – Produced in South Africa
- Unless a stated blend, our oils are in a completely natural, unadulterated state.
- Where possible, we purchase direct from source.
- We access 32% of our range from Southern African Farmers.
The contents of the Knysna Health website shall not be regarded as medical advice, or a basis from which to make medical decisions. The use of information found on this site is completely your responsibility and at your own risk. Our recommendation is that if you have health concerns that you feel unsure about how to deal with, that you contact your trusted health professional for personalized advice.